- IDENTITY THEFT REACHES EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS
Compiled By Ralph Thomas
- Recent statistics show that Identity Theft is becoming a problem of
epidemic proportions in the United States. Many criminologists are calling
it the fastest growing crime in America. James E. Bauer, Deputy Assistant
Director of the Office Of Investigations, United States Secret Service
recently stated, "Identity Take Over Fraud has come into its own,
and promises not to go away until significant changes evolve in the manner
and methods by which personal identifiers are collected and used."
It is estimated that Identity Theft is effecting 500,000 new victims per
- "Identity Take Over Fraud has come into its own, and promises
not to go away until significant changes evolve in the manner and methods
by which personal identifiers are collected and used."
James E. Bauer, Deputy Assistant Director
Office Of Investigations, United States Secret Service
- When someone steals someone else's identity, massive amounts of bills
can be charged up by the criminal in the from of credit purchases. It's
estimated that 25% of all credit card fraud is the caused by identity theft.
Victims of this crime find little help with conventional organizations
such as credit bureaus, credit card companies and sometimes even law enforcement.
In some states, this isn't even considered a crime yet. Private investigators
are starting to provide services in order to help victims of Identity Theft
by tracking down the criminal and helping the client turn to the right
places to get credit records straightened out.
- A manual by California attorney Mari J. Frank
who was a victim of identity theft herself is now being offered to help
victims and services who help victims combat this new white collar crime.
- FOR INFORMATION ON THE IDENTITY-THEFT SURVIVAL
FROM VICTIM TO VICTOR, CLICK HERE
- MORE HELPFUL LINKS
- VICTIMS OF IDENTITY THEFT ACTION AND
- SUPPORT GROUP
- TEACHING SUGGESTIONS TO HELP STUDENTS PREVENT IDENTITY
- STARTLING FACTS
- IDENTITY THEFT II:
- CREDIT IDENTITY THEFT:
- TIPS TO AVOID AND RESOLVE PROBLEMS
- CA. DEPT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS
- NEW CREDIT REPORT LAW TAKES EFFECT SEPT. 30TH, BUT
- CHANGES WON'T STOP GROWING IDENTITY THEFT PROBLEM
- Consumer Privacy Rights Program
- PREVENTING IDENTITY THEFT
- IDENTITY THEFT IS ON THE RISE
- IDENTITY THEFT HELP
- How To Protect Yourself From Fraud
- THIS IS NO JOKE: IDENTITY THEFT REVISITED
- GO THE THE NEW NEWSLETTER ARTICLE MENU
- GO TO THE PI TRENDS MENU